Pom-poms can add a fun element to so many projects. Use them for gift wrapping, slippers, hats, or just about anything you can think of. It is easy to make a pom-pom with nothing but your hands, yarn and scissors. Below is a photo tutorial on how to do just that!
You will need:
- Your hands
1. Take your yarn and wrap it around three fingers on one hand (see photo). I usually wrap it close to 30 times for an average size pom-pom with regular worsted weight yarn. **For a smaller pom, wrap around two fingers. Use more or less yarn to adjust size.
2. Cut about a foot of yarn from your ball or skein of yarn. Squeeze that yarn through your fingers and tie it around the middle of your yarn, just as if you are about to tie a shoe. Your entire “wod” of yarn is now wrapped and tied. Tie it as tight as you can.
3. Carefully slip the yarn off your fingers, and leave yarn as is. Tighten the yarn again and knot.
4. Slip your scissors through the loops and begin to cut, avoiding to cut the yarn that you just tightened which holds your pom together.
5. Trim your pom-pom until you like how it looks. The more you trim, the neater and fluffier it will become!
6. Tie it on to whatever you would like!
Crochet my easy boot cuffs with a pom here: https://www.mamainastitch.com/?p=242
What do you like to add pom-poms to?